|Tanpopo, September 2002|
promoting "BE HAPPY Koi no Yajirobee".
(L-R) Niigaki Risa, Ishikawa Rika, Shibata Ayumi, Konno Asami.
|Associated Acts||Morning Musume, Melon Kinenbi|
|Members||Ishiguro Aya (1998-1999)|
Iida Kaori (1998-2002)
Yaguchi Mari (1998-2002)
Kago Ai (2000-2002)
Ishikawa Rika (2000-2009)
Konno Asami (2002-2006, 2007-2009)
Niigaki Risa (2002-2009)
Shibata Ayumi (2002-2009)
Tanpopo (タンポポ; Dandelion) was a Hello! Project unit and the first official sub-unit of Japanese pop girl group Morning Musume, formed in November 1998. They specialized in singing slow and mature songs, which morphed to an old-fashioned and upbeat style—a genre somewhat similar to the band it originated from.
The 2009 revived unit, Tanpopo#, has members that have the Japanese symbol 井 in their name.
- Ishiguro Aya (石黒彩) (Graduated in late 1999)
- Iida Kaori (飯田圭織) (Graduated in summer 2002)
- Yaguchi Mari (矢口真里) (Graduated in summer 2002)
- Konno Asami (紺野あさ美) (Graduated in 2009)
- Niigaki Risa (新垣里沙) (Graduated in 2009)
- Shibata Ayumi (柴田あゆみ) (Graduated in 2009)
The group consisted of three Morning Musume members: Ishiguro Aya, Iida Kaori and Yaguchi Mari. After the formation, the group immediately released their first single, "Last Kiss," which was used on the anime Sorcerous Stabber Orphen. The single has a "sexy" vibe that they used on their second single and first album. However, they created a fresh image when they released "Tanpopo." This new image did not become as popular as the first image they had created.
After the release of the group's fourth single, Ishiguro Aya graduated from Morning Musume and left the group. Iida Kaori and Yaguchi Mari continued performing their songs in concerts as Generation 1.5 Tanpopo.
In June 2000, Morning Musume fourth generation members, Ishikawa Rika and Kago Ai, joined Tanpopo. The style of their songs changed when the four released "Otome Pasta ni Kandō." The style of this song became analogous to the songs Morning Musume had released. They also used this style on their next singles, which became popular and reached the number one spot on Oricon, and their second (and last) album.
On July 31, 2002, it was announced that Tanpopo was going to be completely reformed. Iida Kaori, Yaguchi Mari and Kago Ai graduated from the group and were replaced by new Morning Musume fifth generation members, Konno Asami and Niigaki Risa and Melon Kinenbi's Shibata Ayumi. This newly formed group only released one single before they went on indefinite hiatus.
- [1999.03.31] TANPOPO 1
- [2002.09.04] All of Tanpopo (All of タンポポ)
- [2008.12.10] Tanpopo / Petitmoni Mega Best (タンポポ / プッチモニ メガベスト) (Tanpopo / Petitmoni)
- [1998.11.18] Last Kiss (ラストキッス)
- [1999.03.10] Motto
- [1999.06.16] Tanpopo (Single Version) (たんぽぽ (Single Version))
- [1999.10.20] Seinaru Kane ga Hibiku Yoru (聖なる鐘がひびく夜)
- [2000.07.05] Otome Pasta ni Kandou (乙女 パスタに感動)
- [2001.02.21] Koi wo Shichaimashita! (恋をしちゃいました!)
- [2001.11.21] Oujisama to Yuki no Yoru (王子様と雪の夜)
- [2002.09.26] BE HAPPY Koi no Yajirobee (BE HAPPY 恋のやじろべえ)
- [2000.04.26] Hello! Project - Petit Best ~Ki Ao Aka~ (プッチベスト～黄青あか～) (#6 Tanpopo (Single Version))
- [2001.04.18] Various - Together! -Tanpopo, Petit, Mini, Yuko- (Together! -タンポポ・プッチ・ミニ・ゆうこ-) (#2 Koi wo Shichaimashita!, #5 Otome Pasta ni Kandou, #11 Tanpopo (2001 Version))
- [2001.12.19] Hello! Project - Petit Best 2 ~3, 7, 10~ (プッチベスト2～三・7・10～) (#5 Oujisama to Yuki no Yoru)
- [2002.10.30] Hello! Project - CLUB Hello! TRANCE REMIX (#3 Last Kiss (TRANCE REMIX), #9 Koi wo Shichaimashita! (TRANCE REMIX))
- [2002.12.18] Hello! Project - Petit Best 3 (プッチベスト3) (#11 BE HAPPY Koi no Yajirobee)
- [2014.01.01] Hello! Project - Hello! Project no Zenkyoku kara Atsumechaimashita! Vol. 1 (ハロー!プロジェクトの全曲から集めちゃいました! Vol.1 アイドル三十六房編（南波一海×嶺脇育夫）) (#3 Sentimental Minamimuki) (Limited Release)
- [2014.01.01] Hello! Project - Hello! Project no Zenkyoku kara Atsumechaimashita! Vol. 2 (ハロー!プロジェクトの全曲から集めちゃいました! Vol.2 吉田豪編) (#5 I & YOU & I & YOU & I) (Limited Release)
- [2004.06.16] Tanpopo Single V Clips ① (タンポポ シングルVクリップス①)
- [2001.07.05] Tanpopo Photobook (タンポポPhoto Book)
- [1999-2000] Tanpopo Hatake de Tsukamaete (タンポポ畑でつかまえて)
- [2000-2001] Tanpopo no Konya mo Mankai (タンポポの今夜も満開)
- [2000-2003] Tanpopo Henshuubu Oh-So-Ro! (タンポポ編集部 Oh-So-Ro!)
|Tanpopo#, January 2011|
|Associated Acts||Morning Musume, Berryz Koubou, ℃-ute|
- Kamei Eri (亀井絵里) (Graduated in December 2010)
- Mitsui Aika (光井愛佳) (Graduated in May 2012)
- Kumai Yurina (熊井友理奈) (Graduated in March 2015)
- Okai Chisato (岡井千聖)
In 2009, Tanpopo was revived as Tanpopo# (タンポポ＃; pronounced Tanpopo Sharp), with the new group consisting of Kamei Eri and Mitsui Aika from Morning Musume, Kumai Yurina from Berryz Koubou, and Okai Chisato from ℃-ute. The sharp symbol was chosen to represent the kanji "井" (read as "i") which is the second character in each of the new members' surnames.
Their first song was a cover of Matsuda Seiko's "Akai Sweet Pea," which was released on the Chanpuru 1 ~Happy Marriage Song Cover Shuu~ album. Their next song, "Umbrella," was released on the Petit Best 10 album.
On December 15, 2010, Kamei Eri graduated from Morning Musume and Hello! Project, effectively leaving the group.
The three remaining members performed W's "Dekoboko Seventeen" during the Hello! Project 2011 WINTER ~Kangei Shinsen Matsuri~ A gana Live, after which the unit became inactive.
On December 31, 2016, original Tanpopo member Ishikawa Rika made a guest appearance at the Hello! Project COUNTDOWN PARTY 2016 ~GOOD BYE & HELLO!~. She performed "Koi wo Shichaimashita!" with Okai Chisato, the last remaining member of Tanpopo# in Hello! Project, and Kumai Yurina, another former Tanpopo# member who was there as one of the concert MCs.
- [2009.07.15] Hello! Project - Chanpuru 1 ~Happy Marriage Song Cover Shuu~ (チャンプル1 ~ハッピーマリッジソングカバー集~) (#11 Akai Sweet Pea)
- [2009.12.02] Hello! Project - Petit Best 10 (プッチベスト10) (#5 Umbrella)
|Former Members||Saito Hitomi (L), Murata Megumi (SL), Otani Masae, Shibata Ayumi|
|Singles||Major: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17|
Indies: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06
Other: ALL FOR ONE & ONE FOR ALL!
|Albums||Original: 1st Anniversary, THE Nimaime, MELON'S NOT DEAD|
Mini: Melon Juice
Best: FRUITY KILLER TUNE, MEGA MELON, URA MELON